Democratic Republic of the CongoJune 9, 2014
Alert: Request for information about medically critical cases pending in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
The Department of State continues to engage the Direction Générale de Migration (DGM) concerning the issuance of exit permits for adopted children affected by the DRC's exit permit suspension. The DGM has been willing to consider cases of adoptive children facing serious medical conditions that cannot be treated in the DRC. To aid in this effort, the Department of State seeks information from adoptive families regarding the number of children that are subject to the exit permit suspension with serious medical conditions that cannot be treated in the DRC. To date, the DGM has granted one exit permit to an adoptive child with a life threatening medical issue.
We ask that adoption service providers (ASPs) send information concerning children waiting on exit permits with serious medical conditions that cannot be treated in the DRC to ExitPermitSuspensionDRC@state.gov.
Note: If you are an adoptive parent not working through an ASP, please send the following information to ExitPermitSuspensionDRC@state.gov:
- Your name and email address
- Your child’s name, date and place of birth, DRC passport number, current location (i.e. which orphanage or foster home they reside in)
- A description of your child’s medical condition and current treatment of that condition, if available in DRC. (No medical documentation should be sent at this time.)
- Date of your final adoption decree
- Date of bordereaux letter, if applicable
- Whether your child’s U.S. immigrant visa has been issued
The deadline for submitting information to the Department of State is June 17, 2014.