EthiopiaAugust 3, 2011
Notice: Confirmation of Orphanage Closures in Ethiopia
Ethiopian government officials have confirmed that several orphanages in the Southern Nations state are closed due to revocation of their licenses to operate by Ethiopian authorities.
These orphanages are:
- SOS Infants Ethiopia (Arbaminch, Dilla, and Awassa branches)
- Gelgella Integrated Orphans (Tercha and Durame branches)
- Bethzatha Children’s Home Association (Sodo, Hosaena, Dilla, and Awassa branches)
- Ethio Vision Development and Charities (Dilla branch)
- Special Mission for Community Based Development (Hosaena branch)
- Enat Alem Orphanage (Awassa branch)
- Initiative Ethiopia Child and Family Support (Awassa branch)
- Resurrection Orphanage (Hosaena branch)
According to officials in the Charities and Societies Agency office, which oversees the licensing and regulation of orphanages in Ethiopia, the children in the care of those facilities have already been transferred to other orphanages.
Ethiopian officials indicate that cases involving orphaned children from these facilities that are already pending with the Federal First Instance court will continue to move forward. The U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa is working closely with Ethiopian officials to determine if children from these facilities who were previously referred for adoption or matched with prospective adoptive parents will be allowed to continue in the adoption process. MOWCYA officials have confirmed that the affected children’s case files are currently being reviewed, a process that is expected to last at least one month.
We continue to ask prospective adoptive parents and agencies that hear news of specific closures to inform the Department. Please send any specific information regarding orphanage closures to AskCI@state.gov with the subject line “Ethiopia Orphanage Closures.”
Prospective and adoptive parents are encouraged to remain in contact with their adoption service provider to stay up-to-date on any information pertinent to their individual case. The Department will post confirmed information on www.adoption.state.gov as we receive it.