Last Updated: June 2011

Hague Adoption Convention Country?

NO image of Kyrgyzstan's flag
Expand All
Hague Convention Information

Kyrgyzstan is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, when the Hague Adoption Convention entered into force for the United States on April 1, 2008, intercountry adoption processing for Kyrgyzstan did not change.

Intercountry adoption is not possible from Kyrgyzstan at this time.

In October 2008 the previous Kyrgyz government halted all intercountry adoptions. This decision was in response to allegations of corruption and illegal processing. At this time it is not possible for new intercountry adoption cases to move forward.

Updated information on recent developments can be found in the Adoption Notice for Kyrgyzstan.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Kyrgyzstan. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print-all in one place.

Obtaining Your Visa

In addition to a U.S. passport, you also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

To find information about obtaining a visa for Kyrgyzstan, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip

Before you travel, it's always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The State Department is a good place to start.

The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip

When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to register your trip with the Department of State. Travel registration makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there's a family emergency in the United States, or a crisis in Kyrgyzstan registration assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Registration is free and can be done online.

After Adoption

What does Kyrgyzstan require of the adoptive parents after the adoption?

The Kyrgyzstan requires post placement reports twice a year until the child is fourteen years old. Adoptive families must submit their reports through their adoption agencies to be forwarded to the Kyrgyz Ministry of Education.

We strongly urge you to comply with the wish of Kyrgyzstan and complete all post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to Kyrgyzstan's history of positive experiences with American parents.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Kyrgyzstan
171 Prospect Mira
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan 720016
Tel.: +996 312 551-241
Fax: +996 312 551-264

U.S. Embassy in Almaty, Kazakhstan
Consular Section, Adoption Unit
Branch Office of the United States of America
97 Zholdasbekova, Samal - 2
Almaty, Kazakhstan 480099
Tel: 7-3272-50-48-02
Fax: 7-3272-50-48-84
Adoption E-Mail:
General Consular E-mail:

Kyrgyzstan's Adoption Authority
Ministry of Education
Department for Extracurricular Education and Protection of Children's Rights (DEEPCR)
257 Tynystanova Street
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

Embassy of Kyrgyzstan
Embassy of the Kyrgyzstan
1001 Pennsylvania Avenue, Suite #600, NW
Washington, DC 20004
Tel: 202-338-5141
Fax: 202-742-6501

Office of Children's Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)